MS' hidden API

Joshua Thielen thielen at netprince.net
Mon Jul 1 23:48:09 CDT 2002

>Dear wine developers,
>
>I have one question on the development of wine. Long(one or
>two years) ago I've heard that Microsoft got some hidden
>APIs in their products of various windows, and they use
>these APIs in their own applications. I wonder if this is
>still a problem on their recent product like windows XP. If
>it is, I guess wine will not be able to run such MS
>applications which uses hidden APIs. Is this right?

Yes, there are still several undocumented functions that prevent certain
applications from working under wine. Specifically, many XP applications
don't work because they use the undocumented function
RtlGetNtVersionNumbers.

>And, is wine designed(or its goal is) to run all
>applications(including MS product and non-MS product) that
>runs on windows?

Yes, the goal of wine is to eventually run all windows applications
(except for device drivers). However, for Wine 1.0, the focus will be on
running a set of widely used applications, such as Microsoft Office,
Lotus Notes, etc. Currently, many applications will work with a little
tweaking. If you are using wine with Windows XP, you will have more
success if you run wine with the command-line option, '-dll builtin
ntdll,msvcrt'

Example: wine -dll ntdll,msvcrt=builtin yourapplication.exe

This will cause wine to use it's own ntdll instead of the one that comes
with XP.

I hope this helps,

Josh