[help] GDI text fonts

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 05:52:14 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 04:54:18PM +0800, leanne wrote:
> Huw D M Davies wrote:
>

> >It's still not clear to me whether you're using XServer rendered fonts
> >or client side (Wine) rendered fonts.  Could you send me the
> >--debugmsg +font,+xrender log ?
> >
> >Huw.
> >
> Hello,
>
> I have checked  cvs  today and found that it supports to download tt
> fonts to printer but the position of the text messes up.
> Maybe it's a bug.
>
> I still find the font of the interface is very ugly, what do you think?
> Attached please find the log and screenshot.
> Very thanks.
>

> trace:font:DumpFontList Family: L"AR PL Mingti2L Big5"
> trace:font:DumpFontList 	L"Reguler"
> trace:font:DumpFontList Family: L"AR PL KaitiM Big5"
> trace:font:DumpFontList 	L"Regular"

There's a problem with Type42 font downloads, a workaround for this to
edit generic.ppd and change the line
*TTRasterizer: Type42
*TTRasterizer: None

this will tell Wine to send download the font as a Type 1 outline
which should work.

Do you mean that the roman (English) font is ugly (since I have no
idea whether the Chinese characters look ok maybe you let me know how
they look)?  You only have two fonts installed (see the above fragment
from the log), so the english text has to come from one of these
fonts.  What you may want to do is to install some fonts like Arial,
Times New Roman etc.  You could either copy these from a Windows
installation (or add a line to the [FontDirs] section of config to
point at an existing Windows partition font directory), or you can
download a selection of the core Windows fonts from Microsoft's
website.

Huw.
--
Huw Davies