MS' hidden API

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed Jul 3 11:59:35 CDT 2002

Vincent Béron wrote:
> Le mer 03/07/2002 à 11:39, Andreas Mohr a écrit :
>
>>On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 01:33:46AM +0300, P. Christeas wrote:
>>
>>>My view is that we should focus on professional apps, such as CAD, some
>>>multimedia etc. There is professionals that won't switch to Linux until some
>>>unique apps they use can run under Linux.  Games are an issue, too.
>>
>>Very true.
>>IMHO AutoCAD is *very* important, as it's considered to be a leading CAD
>>package, with no UNIX version, ever.
>

> Was a leading CAD package. It's still vastly used, but (in my
> experience) mostly to get access to old drawings. Newer stuff gets
> designed on SolidWorks, ProE, Catia, Mechanical Desktop and a couple
> others which do real 3D.

Just barely on topic, hope people don't mind...

So, any hints on which would be a good one to get? I am planning to buy
a mechanical CAD package, and would then attempt to fix any bugs to get
it running under wine. I have managed to do fairly well getting my
Xilinx FPGA software working (though getting the patches committed has
been a little harder), so I figure I would try a CAD package, too.

My needs are pretty simple, so I don't really want the high dollar
stuff, perhaps under $1K (the further under the better ;)? I would be
doing things like mechanical drawings for machining front panels and
brackets for electronic equipment (which I have done in Autocad in the
past).