warcraft 3

Rizsanyi Zsolt rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 5 03:10:46 CDT 2002

On Friday 05 July 2002 01:53, Bobby Bingham wrote:
> After buying Warcraft 3, and reading on the mailing list that the beta had
> worked under wine, I decided to try the final version under wine.  It
> installed fine, but won't run.  Or rather, when I try to run it, it prints
> this out, and just sits there:
>
> fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetIdeInterface CD-ROM device with major ID 11 not
> supported
> fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetIdeInterface CD-ROM device with major ID 11
> not supported

You have an scsi cdrom drive. My code works just with the ide cdrom drives.
But this should not be a too big problem, unless the game uses SafeDisc copy
protection. And even then it may be not so important.
You can check if the cd is safedisk protected by looking for files:
secdrv.sys
drvmgt.dll
clcd16.dll
clcd32.dll
clokspl.exe

If they are present, you need safedisc protection working. You can try winex,
or you can try to apply the safedisc patch to the winehq wine.
If you are willing to test I can provide the patch, and try to make it work
with scsi drives...

If it is not safedisc protected, then you can simply ignore the above
messages...

> fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer support MIDI in. Not
> supported yet (please report)

you can ignore this too

> I don't know much about the various debug messages, but if I run it with
> --debugmsg +relay, i see thousands upon thousands of lines like this:
>
> 0809c7f8:Call ntdll.dll.RtlEnterCriticalSection(403e0534) ret=40bf1e46
> 0809c7f8:Ret  ntdll.dll.RtlEnterCriticalSection() retval=00000000
> ret=40bf1e46
>
> over and over, with these occasionally interspersed:
>
> 0809c7f8:Call kernel32.dll.GetTickCount() ret=40bf2013
> 0809c7f8:Ret  kernel32.dll.GetTickCount() retval=00001f07 ret=40bf2013

The above two type of messages in the relay trace are not important. You
should filter them out. There are more ways to do it, but for me the easiest
is to rember is this:
grep -v RtlEnterCriticalSection wine.log > wine2.log
And so on with all the animportant messages.

That way maybe you (or somebody else), can see something more interesting...

> now, how would one go about debugging this.  It doesn't seem as convenient
> as just crashing in one specific function and bringing up the debugger ...

You did not write which version of wine you are using. That could be quite
important...

Regards
Zsolt Rizsanyi