The filedlg95 behavior

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Jul 5 22:29:12 CDT 2002

Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:

> I think  this is a correct behavior of the file
> dialog. If an application is started with an icon
> what's the sense of having e.g. starting directory for
> Word it's binary directory?

Well, I guess I have (almost) never started a wine app by clicking an
icon. Perhaps I am atypical.

> On other hand I agree with you that default directory
> value should be set not to C:\My Documents, but to the
> home directory. We currently map the user home
> directory to one of the drive letters. You can submit
> a patch to the default Wine registry to point the
> default document directory to the home directory
> drive.

I don't see an easy way to do that, as the registry seems to be rather
picky. If I stick "~" in the registry, it comes up in
C:\windows\desktop. How it came up with that I don't know. Trying "HOME"
(the label in config) comes up in "My Computer". For that matter, so
does "D:".

Only a precise entry, like "D:\\" works for me, so I don't know of an
automatic way to tell the registry where home is.