Strange behaviour -- app starts only with --debugmsg+snoop

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Jul 6 16:57:48 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 10:52:30PM +0200, Max wrote:
> AutoCAD again !
> After finally R14 runs fine, i'm trying with AutoCAD 2000.
> Setup goes ok (besides usual VBA problem).
> Starting with  'wine acad' gives a very early error of unhandled access
> violation.
> I tried to start it with --debugmsg +snoop to see what happened and, surprise,
> app starts up quite good.
> It then hangs much later, but that's another problem.
> So the question : how it's possible that requesting snoop messages bypasses
> the initial access violation ? I think that snoop adds only a thunk to calls
> on native dlls....
No, AFAIK +snoop stuff does some additional "housekeeping" work, like
initializing/correcting stack and stuff.
This crash could probably be caused by
- API functions with wrong number of parameters (in .spec etc)
- buffers uninitialized by Wine's function implementations even though they
  should be
- some other random stack trashing or so

--
Microsoft Licensing 6.0: "Pay us now in advance, so that we can own you later."