warcraft 3

Jesse Allen uh_ja at gmx.net
Mon Jul 8 16:21:18 CDT 2002

> Hmm.  Sounds suspiciously like the Baldur's Gate movie problem.

Warcraft 3 uses Divx for it's movies.  If Baldur's Gate uses it as well,
then it definately related.

Because War3 uses Divx (http://www.divx.com), it might be easy to debug
because I think it's open source.  I might as well try fixing it.

Another thing that's interesting to me, like nearly a year ago, I would
guess, I and a couple other people were asking blizzard to release their
trailers in a better format than quicktime.  Most people in the forums
would say quicktime was the best, and we would say, "have you ever heard
of divx?" We suggested divx because of superior compression and quality.
(And for me, it works in linux =)  And a couple weeks later, they
rerelease a bunch of trailers under divx, and announced they licensed it.
Even on their website they list for the divx trailers "PC/Linux"  which is
a big deal for me =)   And they like it so much they use it in their
latest game.  Maybe this is another reason I got the beta  =)

(and another thing, open the first page of the game manual, it lists they
use divx, Freetype 2.0, and zlib.  No wonder it works so well under linux.
 Maybe one of these days they will use SDL ? =)

Jesse