RFC: Re: [ros-kernel] Shell32 and dplax

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 01:15:49 CDT 2002

Note: Forwarded to wine-devel

I'm more in support of us chaning wine rather then
adapting win9x calls to ReactOS. That being said I
have enough trouble writing a 3 line patch so my voice
doesnt count to much..."You guys are the programmers,
I just break shit."

IMHO the way WINE handles certain things is really
fubar. A good example besides MapSL and
ConvertToGlobalHandle is the way WINE implements
PSAPI. All wine psapi does it convert the toolhelp
functions already implemented in to the needed format
with a wineserver call or two thrown in. If we are
going to use wine and not fork the crap out of it then
we should fix the 9xisms as we find them. Currently
wine has all sorts of ways for doing things, you have
win16 apis being called in some places, ntdll in
others and then 9xisms all over the place.

So far we have
MapSL
ConvertToGlobalHandle
PSAPI
DriectX HAL interfaces
?

idunno I guess it comes to what can we do to better
share code. Currently there is not a chance in hell of
us sharing PSAPI in its current state. I started two
bugs in wines bugzilla a few weeks ago regarding it.
Mabey we should have a meta-bug for making WINE more
NT like in "certain" areas. I dont expect the wine
projects to make all sorts of changes just for us and
not as they are trying to get a 1.0 release.

Anyone got any feedback? Mabey we will get more
support for this once David and Jason are done with
the basic Windowing.

Steven