No X11 input events in DGA2 mode

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Tue Jul 9 13:25:41 CDT 2002

> I was trying to run Starcraft under wine in using the X11 DGA2 mode to
> get a decent frame rate.  I tried running it under various versions of
> wine and got the same result every time.  The problem is that when wine
> runs the game using DGA2 it ignores all input from the keyboard and
> mouse and so appears to hang.  When running the game with DGA2 support
> disabled (i.e. not running as root) everything works fine but I get a
> much lower frame rate.  I'm new to wine but I had a stab at fixing the
> problem which as far as I can see is the following:

You can see that this topic was already debated in the following threads :

   http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/06/0396.html

And even earlier here :

   http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/01/0392.html

> And this fixed the problem.  What's bugging me though is that if this is
> the correct answer then how do any programs work at all in DGA2 mode?
>  Wouldn't any program hang in the same way as soon as wine switched to
> DGA2 mode?

DGA2 do not work at all for any application, it's as easy as that :-)

> It would be handy if this were fixed in the wine code so I don't have to
> keep downloading source and patching so can someone who knows more about
> the code please let me know if they think this is worth submitting as a
> patch or point me in the right direction if this is on the wrong track?

Well, the problem is that a fix like the one you did will be hard to have
committed to the Wine source tree as it's too much of a kludge (I already
proposed a fix like that in the thread I started on it in January of this
year).

Now one just need to find somebody committed enough to investigate the
problem and to fix it properly :-)

                          Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/