warcraft 3

Matthieu Foillard m.foillard at taktile.com
Tue Jul 9 11:08:07 CDT 2002

Jesse Allen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Here's how to get Warcraft 3 running under wine:
>
>1.  Use the latest wine cvs.  Only that will work.
>
>2.  Mount the CD, and run install.exe on the CD with the winver set to
>win98 under config.  (even though 95/98 are exactly the same when playing
>the game--i hate that)  You should disable the ide-scsi thing because it
>seems to cause problems =(
>
>3.  Close the install program.  Go to the
>directory where war3 is installed.  mv the Movies folder to Movies backup.
> The game tries to display a movie clip on start in the retail, and it
>hangs wine =(
>
>4.  Download the NoCD patch for Warcraft 3 v1.00 (I don't
>know if 1.01 is out yet) at www.gamecopyworld.com.  mv war3.exe and
>worldedit.exe to backup names.  Copy in the patched program exe's.  You
>may now run War3 if you wish.  Warcraft 3 uses Safedisc v2.  With this
>patch it will bypass it.  Run war3 with the command "wine war3.exe --
>-opengl".
>
>5.  To login battle.net, you need to bypass the exe check.  With
>the patched version of the game, it won't work.  So what I did to get it
>to work is moved the patched exe's to something like "war3_patched.exe"
>and create a symbolic link "war3.exe" that links to it.  Start the game
>"war3.exe".  To login to battle.net, open bash console.  Change to the
>war3 directory, and reset the symbolic link to the original war3 exe, let
>it sleep 5 seconds, and then reset the symbolic link back to the patched
>version.  While it's sleeping, you need to login into battle.net
>immediately.  This is what I did to get D2 battle.net to work under wine.
>It should work for war3.   You need to be the same version as battle.net
>for it to work though. (currently only 1.00 is availible for linux, and
>battle.net is 1.01)
>
>6.  To patch the game, you need to get the
>standalone patches.  Set your symbolic link to the real exe's, and patch
>away =)
>

>The beta in contrast worked perfectly.  The retail has a couple problems
>=(.  The advantages I find running War3 under linux/wine/opengl, are
>higher framerates than on both real windows, and winex.  And no graphics
>errors in comparison to winex d3d8, and no sound problems like under real
>windows.  My three button mouse also works unlike windows.   All these
>advantages =)
>

>Jesse

hi,
after i follow these steps, I can't make it working with both winex and
wine :

Using winex using d3d (compiled from cvs), start using wine
path/War3.exe  :
err:win32:_EnterSysLevel (0x407e74a8, level 2): Holding 0x40887fec,
level 3. Expect deadlock!
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_sync_render_state unsupported render state 161
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_sync_render_state unsupported render state 162
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_sync_render_state unsupported render state 168
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_sync_render_state unsupported render state 171
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_sync_render_state unsupported render state 172
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_sync_render_state unsupported render state 173
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_texture_stage_state unsupported texture stage state 28
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_texture_stage_state unsupported texture stage state 25
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_texture_stage_state unsupported texture stage state 28
fixme:ddraw:D3D_GL_texture_stage_state unsupported texture stage state 25
Erreur de segmentation
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x40c2a314 "x11drv_main.c:
X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=2307

Using winex using opengl (compiled from cvs), start using wine
path/War3.exe -- -opengl :
it prints :
fixme:opengl:wglSwapLayerBuffers (): stub !
fixme:opengl:wglSwapLayerBuffers (): stub !
fixme:opengl:wglSwapLayerBuffers (): stub !

over and over ...

Using wine using opengl (compiled from cvs), start using wine
path/War3.exe -- -opengl :

fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x403aad78,00010023,2):stub
fixme:win32:CreateIoCompletionPort (ffffffff, 0000, 00000000, 00000000):
stub.

then it seems to start fullscreen but does not display anything, so that
i must kill it.

any ideas ?

--
Matthieu Foillard <matthieu at taktile.com>
TAKTILE, 52 rue de Ponthieu - 75008 PARIS