Meta-bug conversions

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jul 10 09:39:14 CDT 2002

Hi,

I propose to use what would hopefully be better concepts to replace the
following meta-bugs:

 * bug 35 - Wine 0.9.0 Meta Bug
   http://bugs.winehq.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=35

   Instead we could tag all the bug that should be fixed in Wine 0.9.0
with the 0.9.0 target milestone.

 * bug 395 - Tasklist
   http://bugs.winehq.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=395
 * bug 455 - FIXMEs
   http://bugs.winehq.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=455
 * bug 406- Tasklets
   http://bugs.winehq.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=406

   These three could be replaced by keywords: Tasklist, FIXMEs and
Tasklets. Then these bugs can be replaced with a query that returns the
bugs that have these keywords.

In all cases, the advantages of the alternative methods are:
 * the above meta-bugs introduce artificial dependencies between bugs
 * each time a bug changes status, you get an email for the bug, and an
email for the corresponding meta-bug
 * similarly, moving a bug moving from one category to another generates
three emails
 * the new concepts seem a better match

Does the above proposal look ok? If so then, once the required keywords
are created, I can tag the relevant bugs and retire the meta-bugs (which
will create a flurry of emails to wine-bugs in the short term).

    I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape around here somewhere...