IOPL Error?

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Jul 13 17:43:21 CDT 2002

    David> I'm not sure where to post this question... Please be gentle
    David> <grin> I'm trying to run Office10 winword.exe (a full
    David> installation on my D: drive) under Mandrake Linux 8.2 from a
    David> Windows XP Pro installation drive.

    David> The command I'm using is wine -dll ntdll,msvcrt=builtin
    David> /mnt/win_d/"Program Files"/Microsoft/Office/Office10/winword.exe

    David> The window frame opens up, but then I get a small window that
    David> just says "IOPL not enabled Error".

    David> I'm a programmer (13 years), so if you need anything like debug
    David> text, no problem, just tell me.

    David> Can anyone help? If I can get Office XP working, then I'll be
    David> set, and WON'T HAVE TO USE WINDOWS! <GRIN> -- David A. Bartmess
    David> Software Configuration Manager / Sr. Software Developer eDingo
    David> Enterprises

You don't tell whether you did programm on windows. Anyways, do a relay log,
search for the call to the messagebox with the said error and look what
(miss)happend above. Try also with native msvcrt, because builtin msvcrt
still has many week points.

And clean out your registry from loading native hardware drivers. On second
thought, IOPL smells for direct hardware access, probably requested by some
driver trying to load. The relay log might help finding out what registry
entry or ini file entry causes this driver to load.
Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de