AutoCAD2000 again and CreateFiber

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 17 13:23:20 CDT 2002

Max a écrit :

> Well, after the patch-hack-or whatever on VirtualQuery, AutoCAD2000 began
> coming alive ! Some problems yet, but one wonders me in particular :
> setting window version as win98 or winnt40, app shows an exception stating
> that CreateFiber function is not implemented; setting as win95 the apps
> starts quite well.
> Any idea ? Is there some plan to implement xxxxxFiber functions, or it's too
> difficult ?
no real plans so far. IMO, writting the fiber functions by itself
doesn't seem too complicated (mainly coroutines, and a couples of
setjmp/longjmp should do the trick)
we may have a bit more trouble trying to set up the same layout for the
TEB (NT_TIB) as requested (mostly because two APIs for fibers are
actually macros directly accessing
the TEB)

> BTW, looking for help on the net, i haven't really understood the difference
> between a regular thread and a fiber (only caught that use of fibers instead
> of threads is somehow discouraged...)
there are differences :
- threads scheduling is done by the scheduler, while the programmer has
to manually ask for a fiber schedule (in old computer science terms, you
could see fibers as coroutines)
- on a SMP system, different threads can actually execute in //, while
fibers won't (at least the ones attached to the same thread)

A+