OLE classes registration

John K. Hohm jhohm at acm.org
Wed Jul 17 14:20:33 CDT 2002

Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Steven Edwards <steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I dont know very much about ole or COM so if I am
> > way
> > wrong just flame me. =)
> >
> > Can the regsvr code from comcat be adapted for this?
> > Rather then implementing more stuff in
> > winedefaultreg
> > can we make all of the OLE/COM stuff self-register?
> > think during on of my tests on windows with the wine
> > dlls that was a problem I encountered and at least
> > for
> > comcat it is now fixed.
>
> Yes, as was discussed before this is the right way to
> do it. Anyway, finding out what information to add and
> and development of the dlls registering process are
> pretty much independent from each other.

I wrote the regsvr.[hc] in dlls/comcat with the intent of their being useful
for other dlls' self-registration.  It should be possible to copy regsvr.h and
regsvr.c, tweak the implementations of DllRegisterServer and
DllUnregisterServer, and write the appropriate regsvr structure definitions,
and have made another dll self-registerable.  I would be willing to do that
myself for other dlls if those responsible for them ask nicely. :-)

This reminds me that a self-registerable dll is supposed to have a
VS_VERSION_INFO resource, with an empty "OLESelfRegister" value in
the "StringFileInfo" block.  comcat.dll has no resources; is there a standard
Wine way to add such version info?