Warcraft 3 : success and woes

Jesse Allen uh_ja at gmx.net
Sat Jul 20 12:08:15 CDT 2002

> Jean-Baptiste Note  wrote:

> The problem appears when you try to
> run warcraft 3 in opengl mode, regardless
> of whether or not you ran it with d3d
> and wineX previously. Warcraft is (following
> Jesse Allen's thought) trying to scan video
> modes available in OpenGL and gets stuck.
>
> However, after only one successful launch,
> the game creates the registry entries needed,
> and does not need to go through this detection
> cycle again.
>
> Question is, how to create those entries ?
> At your option
> * try to merge/use my user.reg attached below
> NOTE: i've still to look to the cd-key entry
> in my brother's win system to add it and be able
> to connect to battle.net =)

The attachment seems to not have gotten to the list (yet?)
Could you send directly to me?  The one with the diffed registry.

It is possible that it was trying to play a Intro Video when you first ran
it.  It minimizes the game if it tries to play it.  Once it plays it, it
doesn't do it again.  But if you kill it before done, it might play try
playing it again.  There is a registry setting you can set on/off to see
if this is the case.

To turn off the intro movie, make a reg file and import this:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Misc]
"seenintromovie"=dword:00000001

To turn it back on, you probably do something like:
"seenintromovie"=dword:00000000

There may be another reason it does this: it could be from an invisible
"splash screen".  It might be that this window takes the focus away from
opengl window for a moment.  (It doesn't display the "splash screen"
properly either.)

The movie and the splash screen are both probably related to the
quartz32.dll being a stub. =(

Jesse