Coded breakpoints

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jul 23 19:06:41 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Max wrote:

> Maybe it's a stupid question, but... is there a way to hard-code a
> breakpoint ? I need to check a bit of code that gets called too many times and
> I'd like to put a conditional breakpoints compiled in code; no way to use
> winedbg built-in conditional breaks, the condition is too complicated.....

You can do:

  if (complex condition) {
      _CrtDbgBreak();
  }

Or equivalently:
  if (complex condition) {
      __asm__ ("\tint $0x3\n");
  }

The int 3 is a software breakpoint (or rather, a software breakpoint is
an int 3). The bove code will cause you to drop in the debugger if the
int 3 ever gets executed. This only works on x86 architectures but this
is probably all you need.

 Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't
                                 -- Eric Jong