DTR / DTS vs RTS/CTS vs Wine

Mike McCormack mikem at codeweavers.com
Wed Jul 24 16:43:27 CDT 2002

Hi Miguel,

You are correct; the Linux kernel does not support DTR/DSR flow control.
If a windows program requests DTR/DSR flow control in wine, we just
write a FIXME to stderr and ignore the setting.

Your idea to build a cable that wires the printer's DTR/DSR to the
computer's RTS/CTS may work, but you may also need some small hacks in
wine to select RTS/CTS flow control when the program asks for DTR/DSR
flow control. That won't garantuee that your program works, but it will
at least be a little better...

I guess the other option is to implement DTR/DSR flow control in the
Linux kernel... but that may not be easy :)

Mike