CUPS and Wine

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Jul 27 16:53:57 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 12:13:57PM -0500, David D. Hagood wrote:
> I've been having trouble with my RH7.2 LPRng based printing, so I
> decided I'd try installing CUPS. After fighting for hours to get this
> so-called easier printing system installed and working, I finally got to
> where I could print from Linux apps. Now, however, Wine steadfastly
> refuses to bring up a meaningful print dialog.
Yep, I've always been asking myself how this company came to name itself
Easy Software Products.
At least the CUPS install on Debian is rather problematic.
You even have to type in printer URLs *by hand* in several cases !
The menu choices are not exactly non-confusing.
A web-based system could be considered to be *made* for a good
context-sensitive help system, yet there's none to be found.

I also encountered some string garbage (typical stray pointer or so)
in the printer URL input some months ago.

Add to that the fact that CUPS gets rather completely rid of the useful
Unix filter machanism, and you really start to wonder whether CUPS really
is better than say lpd+printtool. Quite the other way around or so...

> I've gone into system.reg and win.ini and removed all the entries
> relating to the printing system, to no avail. Wine sort of recognises
> that there is a printer named "Color" managed by CUPS, but it cannot get
> any kind of properties for it - no paper size, no queue, and any attempt
> to accept the dialog is either ignored or results in a fault.
>
> This is with a CVS pull and clean rebuild as of 30 minutes ago.
>
> Where do I go from here?
Known problem :-\
CUPS *should* be totally easy to set up in Wine, yet for some reason
Wine stumbles hard and dies instantly.
If noone has a stab at fixing this, then maybe I'll have some time to fix
it. Don't ask for a close look at my ToDo list, though... ;-)

AFAIR we also have a bug reported for that, and if there isn't one,
then it's about high time to create one.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://mohr.de.tt