CUPS and Wine

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.de
Sat Jul 27 17:41:31 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 11:53:57PM +0200, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 12:13:57PM -0500, David D. Hagood wrote:
> > I've been having trouble with my RH7.2 LPRng based printing, so I
> > decided I'd try installing CUPS. After fighting for hours to get this
> > so-called easier printing system installed and working, I finally got to
> > where I could print from Linux apps. Now, however, Wine steadfastly
> > refuses to bring up a meaningful print dialog.
> Yep, I've always been asking myself how this company came to name itself
> Easy Software Products.
> At least the CUPS install on Debian is rather problematic.
> You even have to type in printer URLs *by hand* in several cases !
> The menu choices are not exactly non-confusing.
> A web-based system could be considered to be *made* for a good
> context-sensitive help system, yet there's none to be found.
>
> I also encountered some string garbage (typical stray pointer or so)
> in the printer URL input some months ago.
>
> Add to that the fact that CUPS gets rather completely rid of the useful
> Unix filter machanism, and you really start to wonder whether CUPS really
> is better than say lpd+printtool. Quite the other way around or so...
It IS realy better, especialy if you have a lot of machines and real
printers with many options (different trays, duplex, etc.). And the
non technical people just love the graphical print tools (qtcups, gtklp
kprinter). And the best feature (best for me :) of cups is that it
significantly  reduces the "I can't print" helpdesk requests. Setup the
printserver and for the clients all what you need to do is to install
cups and start it, nothing more. You can still use filter, you can
define them in ppd file, but normaly you don't need them because today
most people print from applications and not from the command line and
the applications use postscript as output.

bye
	michael
System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart