CUPS and Wine

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Sat Jul 27 17:42:21 CDT 2002

Andreas Mohr wrote:

> Add to that the fact that CUPS gets rather completely rid of the useful
> Unix filter machanism, and you really start to wonder whether CUPS really
> is better than say lpd+printtool. Quite the other way around or so...

Actually, I do beleive that CUPS does use a filter mechanism internally.
  But I do agree - I'm not as sure that CUPS is all that much better.
But to REALLY fix printing would mean far more than what CUPS can do -
IMHO what we need is more of a RPC style system, where the client app
communicates bidirectionally with the print server, so that the client
can ask "What can you do for me?", the server responds "I can staple,
collate, bind, and add gold leaf inlay", and the client can present that
to the user. Maybe some sort of XML/SOAP sort of thing.... (-1, Offtopic).

> Known problem :-\
> CUPS *should* be totally easy to set up in Wine, yet for some reason
> Wine stumbles hard and dies instantly.

Then I respectfully suggest the the documentation should reflect this -
I had a perfectly good LPRng system running, and the only problem was
getting Wine to talk to my color printer. "CUPS is GREAT" sayth the
docs, so installth CUPS shall I do....

> If noone has a stab at fixing this, then maybe I'll have some time to fix
> it. Don't ask for a close look at my ToDo list, though... ;-)

Know the feeling...

> AFAIR we also have a bug reported for that, and if there isn't one,
> then it's about high time to create one.

I was going to do this very thing (I am a big champion of Bugzilla at my
place of employ - I have the attitude of "If there ain't a bug agin it,
it don't exist!") but when I try to query the Bugzilla database, I get:

Please stand by ...
Software error:

SELECT bugs.bug_id, bugs.groupset, substring(bugs.bug_severity, 1, 3),
substring(bugs.priority, 1, 3), substring(bugs.rep_platform, 1, 3),
map_assigned_to.login_name, substring(bugs.bug_status,1,4),
substring(bugs.resolution,1,4), substring(bugs.short_desc, 1, 60) FROM
bugs, profiles map_assigned_to, profiles map_reporter LEFT JOIN profiles
map_qa_contact ON bugs.qa_contact = map_qa_contact.userid, longdescs
longdescs_ WHERE bugs.assigned_to = map_assigned_to.userid AND
bugs.reporter = map_reporter.userid AND bugs.groupset & 0 =
bugs.groupset AND longdescs_.bug_id = bugs.bug_id AND (bugs.product =
'Wine') AND (bugs.bug_status = 'NEW' OR bugs.bug_status = 'ASSIGNED' OR
bugs.bug_status = 'REOPENED') AND (INSTR(LOWER(longdescs_.thetext),
'cups')) GROUP BY bugs.bug_id ORDER BY bugs.priority, bugs.bug_severity:
Can't write, duplicate key in table 'longdescs_' at globals.pl line 231.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster at codeweavers.com),
giving this error message and the time and date of the error.