linux kernel thoughts

Marco Pietrobono pietrobo at pietrobo.com
Mon Jun 3 13:37:56 CDT 2002

Il lun, 2002-06-03 alle 17:49, Shachar Shemesh ha scritto:
> It's been a while since I looked at the compilation options of the
> kernel, but there used to be specific support for java applets in the
> kernel (running a userland jvm, mind you). That was later deprecated by
> a "MISC" handler, that (I guess) could be configured to run java, and
> probably also PE.
>
> The idea is that trying to execve a PE file, will find the userland wine
> program and run it. This would make your effort needless.

  FWIW, it seems that both RedHat and Mandrake come with a script that
does the correct setup at boot.

  All it does is:

/sbin/modprobe binfmt_misc &>/dev/null

echo ':windows:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:' \
                  >/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

echo ':windowsPE:M::PE::/usr/local/bin/wine:' \
                  >/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

  bye,

/pietrobo

--
Stud. Marco Pietrobono            | Murphy's Law: if something could
v. del Calice, 39 - 00178 ROMA    |     go wrong, it does.