Latest CVS build can't find c:\windows\system

Daniel Schwarz dschwarz at bellatlantic.net
Tue Jun 4 12:15:10 CDT 2002

>"Alexandre Julliard" <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:
>
> > Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> writes:
> >
> > >  [wine]
> > > +; Warning ! case sensitive directory names here !
> > >  "Windows" = "c:\\windows"
> > >  "System" = "c:\\windows\\system"
> >
> > What makes you think they are case sensitive?
>
> Apparently it's caused by a bug somewhere, but if you will replace
> c:\windows by c:\Windows (note an uppercase 'W') Wine will not be
> able find the Windows directory.

I'm experiencing problems with this. Just updated to the lastest CVS (June
4 2002) and I'm getting the following WINE error when trying to run any
application:

Invalid path 'c:\windows\system' for system directory: does not exist
Perhaps you have not properly edited or created your Wine configuration
file.

Relevant snippets from my wine config file:

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/windows"
"Type" = "hd"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[wine]
"windows" = "C:\\windows"
"system" = "C:\\windows\\system"

And from /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1       /windows vfat   rw,auto,umask=000 0 0

/dev/hda1 is a Fat32 partition and does indeed contain \windows and
\windows\system subdirectories. All lower case.

winecheck gives me a "99% correct" score, and reports no problems with
"Drive C" (all errors are related to file permission issues on Drive D
which is not being used here.)

snippet from winecheck output:

----------------------------- checking config file
-----------------------------
003. Checking config file access...                         OK.

>>> Checking drive C settings:
004.  Checking Path option...                               OK.
005.  Checking Type option...                               OK.
006.  Checking Filesystem option...                         OK.
--> OK.

So, I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts on what's going wrong here?

Regards,

Dan Schwarz
http://www.winecentric.com/