How big is the Direct3D stuff?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jun 5 23:31:47 CDT 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Roland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since it seems that TG is not going to release their D3D stuff, my question is:
>
> why is it so difficult to reimplement this? How big is the amount of code?

It would be interesting to have tasks concerning DirectX in Bugzilla.
especially if things like Direct3D can be broken up into reasonably
independent and smaller items. So my questions would be:

 * What are the tasks for implementing Direct3D?
 * Can older versions be implemented independently from the newer ones?
 * Do we have nothing at all or do we have something? What changes need
to be done to this something to make it better.
 * What modifications are necessary to other parts (x11drv, DirectDraw)
to implement Direct3D?
 * Are there other DirectX areas that are lacking and that will prevent
games from working even if we get Direct3D working (DirectPlay,
DirectInput)?
 * One item I can suggest is adding support for XVideo to DirectDraw (I
believe that's where it fits) to enable hardware scaling and YUV
conversion when playing videos. This would be more for media players
than games but could be useful anyway.

Any expert willing to shed light?

                              145 = 1! + 4! + 5!