driver question

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Tue Jun 11 15:54:15 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:23:06PM +0300, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> I'm not an expert on licensing, and I thought to ask this question here - I'm
> not trying to make any emails flame war - just need a simple answer...

> A friend of mine is toying with an idea to write a frame buffer driver instead
> of the x11drv on wine, but he doesn't think his boss will allow to release
> the code..

> Can he (legally) write the driver, bundle it with the lgpl'd  wine and sell
> it? or is this illegal?

If the driver interfaces with the rest of Wine through a clearly defined
library API, and his proprietary code is distributed as separate object
code that can be relinked with Wine at runtime or at build time (i.e.,
made available as either .o files or as a .so shared lib), then this is
unquestionably permitted by the LGPL.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer