Dynamically linking with a Unix library - or not

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at bamdad.org
Tue Jun 18 12:17:54 CDT 2002

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
[snip]
> A. If Fribidi was present during compile, check for its existance during
> run time. If not present, don't enable the run time option.
> or
> B. Copy (port?) Fribidi into the WINE code. It's LGPL, so the license
> does allow that.

C. If Fribidi was present during compile, link it statically, so
that there will be no dependency on fribidi for WINE package.

The consequence of B and C is that WINE will not use the latest
fribidi on machine.

But that may be right, since I wonder if you are going to convert
UTF32<->UTF16 all way.  You need a 16bit fribidi, means a somehow
self-taylored version, so go with B and install a 16bit fribidi
on your compile machine, and build WINE.  No license problem, and
I will let you know of fribidi new releases ;-).

--
Behdad Esfahbod				28 Khordad 1381, 2002 Jun 18
http://behdad.org/			[Finger for Geek Code]

Today is a good day for information-gathering.
Read someone else's mail file.