Dynamically linking with a Unix library - or not

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Jun 18 13:08:54 CDT 2002

Shachar Shemesh <linuxil at consumer.org.il> writes:

> I am afraid that the consequence of B will be that no packager in his
> right mind will use that option. As that works in direct contradiction
> to the reason I entered the WINE project to begin with, I am trying to
> opt for a better solution. I'm seeing two possible solutions to this
> problem:
>
> A. If Fribidi was present during compile, check for its existance
> during run time. If not present, don't enable the run time option.
>
> or
> B. Copy (port?) Fribidi into the WINE code. It's LGPL, so the license
> does allow that.

I'd strongly suggest doing B. We need 16-bit Unicode chars anyway so
you probably can't use the standard Fribidi. And this way we can share
the Unicode tables with the rest of our code instead of duplicating a
whole lot of it. All you really need from Fribidi is the algorithms,
and these are not going to change often anyway so copying them into
Wine shouldn't be too bad.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com