Question about printer support in wine.

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Jun 22 04:08:11 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 01:15:13AM -0400, Joshua Thielen wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm trying to set up my printer in wine in order to test SmartForms and
> LogicWorks (they both are helplessly out of order without a default
> printer). The documentation says that if you have CUPS installed, all
> printing options are autodetected regardless of .ini or registry
> entries. I have cups, libcups, and libcups-devel 1.1.0 installed and I'm
> running Mandrake 8.1. Configure is able to find the CUPS files and
> enables CUPS printing support in wine. But when I run either SmartForms
> or LogicWorks, it says that a default printer could not be found. Is the
> documentation correct, or am I missing something? I'm sorry, I probably
> should have posted this question to a different list, but I'm too lazy
> to go elsewhere.
I have noticed several times lately that CUPS support must be buggy for
some reason. If you could debug it, that would be great.
Try something like --debugmsg +relay,+winspool,+psdrv,+print
and add tons of traces to get more detailled info on why the supposedly
autoconfiguring CUPS stuff fails.
(I haven't had this problem on my machine yet, so I currently
can't reproduce it)

--
"My attitude is, everybody should try competing with Microsoft once in their life. Once."
- Marc Andreessen, former Netscape lead employee, in a "browser wars" interview