The memory model

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Mar 12 11:44:12 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 09:09:12AM -0800, Duane Clark wrote:
> Over on comp.arch.fpga, there has been a discussion (in the thread
> "exceeding 2GB limits in xilinx") about the memory models of Windoze
> versus Linux, and whether running a Windows program under wine would
> impose the Windows memory model on an application.
>
> This all comes about because the newest Xilinx software says that to use
> their newest large devices, a computer needs a minimum of 3GB to run
> place and route! Apparently Windows allocates 2GB to user space and
> Linux allocates 3GB (just repeating what has been said by others there).
> It was mentioned that perhaps running the tools under Linux/wine might
> allow the tools to have access to the full 3GB available under Linux.
>
> In any case, this made me curious, and I was hoping some of the more
> knowledgable people here might be able to explain how this works under wine.
I *think* this should use 3GB on Linux.
After all RtlAllocateHeap calls VirtualAlloc which uses raw memory allocation
without any 2GB restrictions to be seen anywhere.
ICBVW, though.

I think that if Windows allocates 2GB only to user space, then that's it.
If Linux allocs 3GB for that, then that's it, too.
Wine only plays a minor role in that, AFAICS.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/