debugging longman dictionary

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at skynet.be
Mon Mar 18 19:06:57 CST 2002

> I'm trying to debug what goes wrong with the Longman Dictionary of
> Contemporary English.
[...]
> fixme:win32:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SICE. Try --winver nt40 or
> win31 !
> fixme:win32:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SIWVID. Try --winver nt40
> or win31 !
> fixme:win32:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD NTICE. Try --winver nt40 or
> win31 !

Seems like a copy protection to me. Windows programs usually use non portable
ways to detect if a debugger is running, ... usually by trying to read or
write from/to kernel space or from/to the interrupt vector, which results in
a crash when running the program in wine.

The easiest way to solve the problem would be to crack your program (and
after that people still don't believe that a crack can be used in a legal way
? :-)

If you can't, then you'll have to figure out what the copy protection tries
to do, and then implement an exception handler to support it in wine.

Laurent Pinchart