Why Wine is like playing the guitar

James Hatheway james at macadamian.com
Wed Mar 20 09:35:49 CST 2002

> 1. StarOffice/KOffice (Bitch because of no Outlook
> clone)

I think that Ximian Evolution gets pretty close to being
a Outlook clone.  They even have a product (not free :( )
that allows it to connect to an Exchange 2000 server.
http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/

> On a Side Note:
> One thing that Wine/Lindows and Reactos will need is
> to be able to run alot of the newer programs with
> tighter Mozzila/NS intigration. This was discussed a
> little during James's presentation on the Jscript.dll
> interface to Seamonkey. Some of the newer software
> loads Internet Explorers MSHTML.DLL for rendering
> and I belive that this software with a little help
> from wine could run better with tigher Mozilla
> Intergration.

As a starting place for this, developers will want to visit:
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
This contains the work on making Mozilla a plug-in
replacement for IE as a control on windows (implementing
IBrowser, IBrowser2, with a simple DOM implementing
IHtmlDocument2, IHtmlElement, IHtmlElementCollection, etc.)
The possible work involved would be: (A) making sure
this control is as feature complete as possible and (B)
getting WINE to run Mozilla properly.  Both of these tasks
are non-trivial. If instead someone was planning to try to interface the
native Linux Mozilla binary with WINE, you should realize that
would be even more difficult, one immediate showstopper is
that Mozilla uses pthreads and WINE doesn't.  It would be a nightmare.

-James
--
James Hatheway
james at macadamian.com ~ http://www.macadamian.com