Road to 0.9

Yven Leist leist at beldesign.de
Wed Mar 20 03:52:39 CST 2002

On Wednesday 20 March 2002 02:12, you wrote:
> The problem with only testing releases is that so many patches go into a
> release, that you won't know what patch broke your app.
>
> I think the real problem is, what would your cron job do after the "wine
> {my app}" stage?
>
> how about doing a
>
> "wine {my app} > myapp.log && tail -f myapp.log | grep 'segfault
> occurred' && mail me at mydomain.com "my app crashed" ^D^D^D
>
> or some such thing in a more robust script? I know the above syntax
> won't work, but basically, check the output of the app and look for some
> kind of crash condition, and mail yourself if it occurs.

yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, it was implied in the "notifying me
if it doesn't" part :-)
checking for "Unhandled exception" or for instance deadlock stuff like
"err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection..." in the log file should be trivial.
But that's probably not going to happen that often anyway, and of course it's
not meant as a substitute for "real world" tests, rather as a "zero cost"
additional check.
cheers,
Yven

Yven Johannes Leist - leist at beldesign.de