OT: Buggy fonts

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 26 04:35:44 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 08:26:31PM -0800, Duane Clark wrote:
> Huw D M Davies wrote:
> > A much better way to do font rendering in Wine is to use the new
> > client side rendering code.  For this you need an XServer capable of
> > supporting the RENDER extension (xdpyinfo will tell you whether you
> > have such a beast) and a copy of the FreeType library version at least
> > 2.0.5 (but the later the better).  Add a [FontDirs] section to your
> > ~/.wine/config file, with entries pointing at any directories that
> > contain TT fonts...
>
> This got me to try out the client side rendering.

Good, that was the idea :)

> I came across two issues. The first is that virtually all dialogs and
> some windows were being drawn too narrow. The window/dialog height was
> normal.

Actaully it's the code that calculates the size of the dialog units
that's wrong.  Give me a couple of days and I'll dig out my patch.

> The other problem I ran across is shown in these pictures, showing
> server and client side rendering. My little hack above had no effect on
> this particular problem.
> http://www.leewardfpga.com/server.png
> http://www.leewardfpga.com/client.png
>
> As can be seen, the vertical text is getting chopped off slightly.

As Francois says this maybe a FreeType bug (versions < 2.0.6 have
errors calculating the advance width of certain glyphs.  If you could
upgrade FreeType and test again that would be very helpful, if it's
still a problem we'll take it from there.

Thanks,

Huw.