dynamic .fon conversion

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Mar 30 04:08:37 CST 2002

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, David Chow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Wine develop, I wish to investigate and join, the following
> is the topic I am interested in.
>
> Does Wine develpers planning to implement .fon files support? I mean
> most of the Linux distribution are now using XFree86-4 . We can actually
> load these fonts into the Xsever dynamically at run time providing we
> have some dynamic conversion between the font files.

   This issue was raised during WineConf. Wine is now able to use
FreeType to perform client-side rendering of TrueType fonts. This
results in fonts that look really great, and you can even get
anti-aliasing.
   Now, IIRC (Huw will correct me if I'm wrong), it was said that
FreeType also supports Postscript fonts and .fon fonts. So the way to go
would be to extend Wine's FreeType support to .fon fonts.

 The greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the
  programmer rested. We've been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since.
                      Moral: design before you implement.