DIB engine

David Hammerton crazney at pacman.transgaming.com
Sat Mar 30 20:45:04 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 04:57:09PM -0800, Francois Gouget wrote:

We make use of Shared Memory Pixmaps to reduce the copying (in WineX).. So we have
app memory which stores the image in the mode requested by the app,
this then gets copied into a SHMPixmap of the depth supported by X so X
can do whatever it wants to (render to it or whatever) and it then gets
copied back when needed, same method..

One of the big savers here is that the ShmPixmap means we dont have to
be sending stuff between X server/client, saves alot of time..

As for X supporting multiple depths - I investigated this and talked to
some of the X coders, its still not "wonderfully" supported.. ehm, it
lacks alot of the most common modes - eg 8bit paletted - its not really
worth it from what I can see..
The X developers suggested that if I wanted to go down this road to
first write an X extension, ShmPixmaps were nicer and almost as fast...

Maybe you would have been able to see this if AoE2 didn't crash on Gav
;-).

Cheers
David

--