Application Database RFC

Jeremy Newman jnewman at
Fri May 3 14:15:25 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 11:39, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:53:15PM -0600, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> > I have done a lot of thinking about the Application Database
> > lately and how the rating system works. We

> Way too complicated IMHO.
> People do want to know whether a particular highly weird app
> (take "Femta" as an example ;-) might have the slightest chance of running
> on Wine, so having a relatively broad base is also pretty important.

I agree with Andi. Too much useless, redundant data. If you have an
issue with Wine, submit it to Bugzilla ( Bugzilla is
where Wine bugs belong. The AppDB has to only answer a few simple
questions. "Does my app work?" and "How well does my app work?".

I do feel the AppDB does need a better rating system though. My plan is
to add a Wine version table to the Ratings. You would be able to Rate an
Application with 0-5 stars, pick the Version you where using, and if you
where using a Windows partition or a Fake Windows install. Also, I think
that each rating submission, should get a comment and a timestamp. This
would allow us to keep up-to-date info.

This addition, brings me to my second AppDB addition. To add a reports
section. The reports section would contain reports for:
- 20 highest rated Apps. (based on a calculation to be decided later)
- 20 highest voted Apps. (I plan to make the voting system more visable)
- Newest App Additions to the DB. (by popular request)
- Most Active Apps (by number of comments/ratings)

I also saw Andriy's comments about removing discussions. I oppose this
strongly. But, we can put in an option to hide them for those that do
not wish to read them. For us that like the comments, I think the
comments needs a sort toggle. I like to see the comments sorted by
newest first. Right now, oldest messages are at the top of the list.

__  _WebGeek/NetAdmin CodeWeavers -=
| .` / -_) |  | / '  \/ _` | ' \  -= mailto:jnewman at
|_|\_\___|\_/\_/|_|_|_\__,_|_||_| -= ICQ: 1842980 Yahoo: laxdragon