xrender patch

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri May 3 21:18:13 CDT 2002

Jeremey White wrote:
>> That does fix it, though I was getting used to the client side fonts :(
>> What version of XFree86 is needed to get a good xrender? I am running
>> version 4.1.0.
>
> You need 4.2.0.  You can also just build libXrender.so,
> which is not that hard to pull out of CVS and build by itself.

It turns out that two other applications (that worked prior to 4/23)
fail even with the Huw patch that disables xrender. They give:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x40b724a4 "x11drv_main.c:
X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=023f
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x407a9718 "user.c:
USER_SysLevel" wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=008f
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...

But I never actually get a debugger prompt, so I don't have more info
then that.

In any case, I just downloaded the binary tar file:
http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc22/Xbin.tgz

and took out just the libXrender.so.1.1, and installed it. Everything
seems to work fine with that.