Attn: component owners list

admiral coeyman admiral at corner.net
Sun May 12 23:49:11 CDT 2002

Russell Howe,

> On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 05:42, admiral coeyman wrote:
>
> >       Signal 11, segfault, is commonly a memory problem.
> [snip]
> >       I got it to work by removing the -O2 from the Makefile.
>
> Optimisation causes the compiler to use quite a bit more memory, so any
> memory errors are likely to trip it up. I'd run memtest on that box if I
> were you. You'll probably get sig11's if you try to build the kernel as
> well. It *could* be a gcc bug though (which I guess is why it was
> suggested you should checkout an older version of the file, to see what
> was tripping the bug, if anything). More likely hardware though.

	I ran memtest and everything looks good.  I don't recall when I last did a
kernel conpile, but I keep that updated as much as I can.  Maybe it's time to
update egcs.  Hopefully, compiling and installing that will not cause
problems.  This is a slackware 7 system with an updated kernel and networking
programs.

> *I* get sig11's when I start X using the mga driver and have no idea why
> (it used to work then one day it didn't!). fbdev works just fine, and I
> can't seem to trip any errors in the RAM so what it is I have no idea!

	There has to have been some kind of a change.  I do notice that the newer
kernels are allocating memory differently.  Most of my ram is devoted to cache
when my system is idle and synced.
	God Bless,
		--Robert 'Admiral' Coeyman

--
---
May you live as long as you wish and age but a single day.
http://www.dotguy.net/                 admiral at corner.net
Webmaster/ Linux Administrator         Computer Co-Op/CornerNet