Wineconsole (again)

Dustin Navea speeddymon at
Mon May 20 16:22:05 CDT 2002

--- Andreas Mohr <andi at> wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:54:31PM -0700, Alexandre
> Julliard wrote:
> > Andreas Mohr <andi at>
> writes:
> >
> > > Why is the "missing font" message a WINE_WARN ?
> > > IMHO this should clearly be a WINE_ERR, as it's
> a user warning,
> > > it's not only of interest to developers.
> >
> > Warnings should be WARN, only errors should be ERR
> (makes sense uh?)
> > We already have way too much noise being printed
> by default. Ideally
> > it should be possible to always display the error
> messages because you
> > would only get one when there is really a fatal
> error. As it is now,
> > if you want a user-friendly install, you have to
> pipe all the output
> > to /dev/null (like we do in Crossover) if you
> don't want to scare your
> > users with dozens of meaningless errors. That's
> not good.
> That's not good, yes.
> And it's even worse if people don't know where to
> look at in order to find
> out "why this bloody wineconsole doesn't work" (to
> just express how people
> would react).

why not have wine take advantage of syslog-ng (if
syslog-ng is installed and running)?  its an easy way
to find out like you said "why this bloody wineconsole
doesn't work" and you can still redirect the output to

by the by, if you don't know how syslog-ng is an easy
way to find out, it prints out all messages it is
given to tty12, so all the user would have to do is
hit ctrl+alt+f12 read the message(s) and then alt+f7
back to x...

Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience