Asian characters printing - not supported

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at
Sat May 25 02:54:48 CDT 2002

Ian Pilcher wrote:

>leanne wrote:
>>We tried to print Chinese on notepad but failed.
>>We found that WINE default only writes western characters
>>to postscript.  Is that true?
>>I would like to ask if WINE will support multi-byte character printing?
>The PostScript driver itself has rudimentary support for the Unicode
>BMP (U+0000 - U+FFFF).  It does not support multi-byte characters or
>wide characters.
But U+0000 - U+FFFF contains almost all eastern characters. Last time I
checked there were very little characters that needed two UTF-16
characters to be encoded, and they were mostly based around music notes
and special symbols.

Ok, just rechecked. The following codes are outside the range:

    * Byzantine Musical Symbols
    * Musical Symbols
    * Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols
    * CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B <--- Would probably prove that
      my previous assesment was wrong.
    * CJK Compatibility Ideographs Supplement
    * Tags

And some private use sections.

Do the characters that render to the characters at print correctly for you? If
so, then Ian's assesment is probably correct. If not, then there is
probably another problem.