Wine FAQ - call for a volunteer

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Fri Nov 1 15:21:54 CST 2002

On November 1, 2002 04:02 pm, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Excuse me, what is sooooooo terrible about the FOM ???
> Having to maintain hundreds of different web pages by hand
> (in order to gain the required interdependencies for some complicated
> issues) is a *lot* more difficult than simply adding/removing/reordering
> FOM content as you see fit.

But this is not the point. I was pretty clear on my problem with the
FAQ-O-Matic: the interface is soooo bad, I wonder if anyone bothers
reading the content! I was also clear on the solution, too. That is,
I suggested something on lines of this FAQ:
	http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
While this is a *HUGE* FAQ, it's all in *one* page. This is important,
as people don't have to click like crazy around to read it. The
formatting is simple, distinctive, and easy on the eyes. It's easy
to navigate (you can just click on the question), or read (just scroll
down the page). It's simply a pleasant experience.

Now, from a maintenance point of view: we don't need "hundreds of
different web pages". The problem with the DVD FAQ is that it is
way too big. I suggested only for the format. Ours should not have
more than 50 questions. If it does, something is wrong. Very wrong:
  -- important issues get lost in the torrent of information
  -- few people will bother reading it
  -- we actually *scare* people away
  -- it's a maintenance nightmare!

My do we need some special tool to maintain one page of FAQs?

--
Dimi.