Wine 0.8 TODO v0.1

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Nov 2 01:23:13 CST 2002

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On November 2, 2002 12:02 am, Ender wrote:
> > If you expect internet explorer to work, you are GOING to have to have at
> > least shdocvw,shlwapi set native,builtin. That way they are not required,
> > but if IE is installed and those DLLs exist, you will need to use the
> > native versions. I really can't imagine ANY way we could create a builtin
> > version of those two dll's which will work with -all- internet explorer
> > versions, as the DLL's change horribly between revisions and even service
> > packs. I think urlmon suffers from the same fate, but I'm not certain.
>
> If this is the only tweak required for IE6, I think it's acceptable since
> IE is such a high visibility app. However, we have to be very careful with
> these things because this way lies madness.

Two related notes:
 * you can specify DllOverrides on a per application basis
 * one place where to put this information is in the Application Database

            *** Call for Application Owners ***

For instance, let's say I want to run for DreaWeaver 4. I go to the
application database and see this:

---

To get DreamWeaver running, append the following lines to your Wine
configuration file:

[AppDefaults\\Dreamweaver.exe\\DllOverrides]
"comctl32" = "builtin,native"
"shfolder" = "native"
"ole32" = "builtin"
"oleaut32" = "builtin"
"msvcp60" = "native"
"msvcrt" = "native"
"mfc42" = "native"
"imm32" = "builtin,native"

[AppDefaults\\Dreamweaver.exe\\x11drv]
"Managed" = "N"
"Desktop" = "1024x768"

---

Now what's cool is that this information actually is in the Application
Database, it's just a bit buried (hopefully it's correct too). What's
needed is:

 * more applications should have instructions like the above
 * we need Application Owners who use a given application regularly and
can check the validity of these settings, can put them at the
beginning of the page, and keep them up to date

Then we can decide whether such options should be present in Wine's
default configuration file, what to do if a given application has
different requirements depending on its version, etc.

But already having the information in the Application Database would be
very helpful.

                     Linux: the choice of a GNU generation