COM vtable inconsistencies with g++ (was SIGSEGV in IDirectDrawImpl_EnumDisplayModes)

Matthew Bloch matthew at bytemark.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 05:48:08 CST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 11:06, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 10:36:21AM +0000, Matthew Bloch wrote:
> > So with the ICOM_MSVTABLE_COMPAT flag set I get the "off-by-two" calling
> > error from within Winelib when it's trying to invoke a COM function.
> > When it's not set I get the same bug occurring in my program when it
> > tries to do the same.
> >
> > I'll keep investigating but I'd be amazed if I was the only person who's
> > tried to build a DirectDraw application against Winelib-- surely someone
> > else must have solved this problem before?  Or do most Wine users only
> > use Wine for loading PE executables?
>
> I'd say that *BY FAR* most people use Wine to run programs.
> What would you use Winelib for anyway ?
> IMHO it has somewhat limited use, given that you don't really gain a lot
> from "porting" programs via Winelib (neither performance, nor code size,
> nor ...).

Yes, I'd discovered this since I started, because I assumed there would be
some speed advantage.  My motivation to start the port through WINE was being
able to use gdb and other familiar UNIX tools to debug a Windows program, and
to be able to extract the Windows code piece by piece until I was left
without any Win32 dependencies.

Of course if anyone can tell me how to debug a PE executable running under
WINE with gdb I'd be interested, but I assumed it would be even more of an
uphill struggle than getting a ELF/winelib version working.

cheers,

--
Matthew Bloch         Bytemark Computer Consulting Limited
                                http://www.bytemark.co.uk/