COM vtable inconsistencies with g++ (was SIGSEGV in IDirectDrawImpl_EnumDisplayModes)

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Sat Nov 2 07:56:35 CST 2002

>>I'd say that *BY FAR* most people use Wine to run programs.
>>What would you use Winelib for anyway ?
>>IMHO it has somewhat limited use, given that you don't really gain a lot
>>from "porting" programs via Winelib (neither performance, nor code size,
>>nor ...).
>

> Yes, I'd discovered this since I started, because I assumed there would be
> some speed advantage.  My motivation to start the port through WINE was being
> able to use gdb and other familiar UNIX tools to debug a Windows program, and
> to be able to extract the Windows code piece by piece until I was left
> without any Win32 dependencies.
>
> Of course if anyone can tell me how to debug a PE executable running under
> WINE with gdb I'd be interested, but I assumed it would be even more of an
> uphill struggle than getting a ELF/winelib version working.

Well, what happens is that someone starts down the Winelib path,
runs into some roadblocks (and some of them end up getting fixed),
eventually run into too many problems, and switch back to just using
Wine.

Which is a crying shame, imnsho.

I think Andi dismisses the power of Winelib far too quickly; the
promise of Winelib, in my opinion, is nearly as powerful as Wine.
The ability to do conditional compilation, for one.  Just the
conceptual ability to have 1 source tree that can build for
multiple platforms (want to run your game on Solaris?  Mac OS X?)
is cool.  (Largely worthless, but cool :-/).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that most folks just use Wine,
winedbg, the wine trace facility, and use only gdb for occassional
spots.

But, if you persisted in using Winelib, I, for one would
be grateful.

Cheers,

Jer