Strange problem on serial port

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Sat Nov 2 17:01:21 CST 2002

There seems to be a strange problem related to the serial port.

Specifically, when running Delorme AAA MapNGo 4.0, and attempting to use
GPS navigation, it is unable to communicate with the GPS device.

On stderr Wine is printing out
RtlNtStatusToDOSerr - unable to map 00000102

This only happens when the GPS device is connected and sending data,
otherwise no error is printed.

I know that the device is sending, because Minicom will show the data
stream from the device. This also leaves out permission problems as both
Wine and Minicom are running with the same permissions.

A bit of grepping through the code indicates the likely error code is
STATUS_TIMEOUT.

Could it be that the serial I/O routines are incorrectly returning
STATUS_TIMEOUT to the calling program when data was read?

Additionally, I have another Windows program that accesses the serial
port without problems - could it be that second program is ignoring the
timeout error, while the first is not?