WINE for PowerPC?

Dustin Navea speeddymon at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 19:26:35 CST 2002

--- Adam Ernst <adam1234 at athenet.net> wrote:
> I'm sorry if this is off topic or doesn't belong here. I'm not a
> developer (at least not in C) so I'll wait a few years while I learn C
> before I come back and help you guys. But I was wondering...

Ok, I dont want to sound rude, but you should be glad anyone is replying...
Its not really off-topic as there arent any set topics and it certainly
doesnt not belong here.

> What are the technical issues with putting WINE on the PowerPC? So
> someday we could run WINE with native Windows apps on Linux for PPC or
> even (!) the Macintosh? (Mac OS X is Unix based, so...) Is it feasible
> to put a x86 emulator in there, so Win32 apps will think they're on a
> standard x86 processor?

Do you know all of the routines for an x86 processor?  Neither do any of us
;).  If we put in x86 emulator in there then we need a hardware emulator also
so that it translates the codes from x86 hardware codes to mac ones.  And the
only hardware emulator I know of (even for x86) is vmware and it royally sux.

> I've got visions of Windows exes running on Linux for PPC or a running
> Windows applications on a Mac... I know WINE is far from being done
> even for Linux x86, but I'd appreciate everyones' knowledge on his
> question.

It really wouldnt be possible, at least not any time within I would say the
next 20 years.  This has been debated before, and probably will be again ;)
but believe me, if it were possible to translate x86 codes into mac or PPC
ones relatively easily, (i.e. like it is to translate windows routines into
linux ones) then it probably would have been dont already.  Now they are
working on a PPC port of winelib so you can still run winelib-based windows
apps on PPC once that is released..  I'm not sure of the bug number but just
go to http://bugs.winehq.com and search for PPC and you will find it, that
will tell you more about the status of the port..

-Dustin