games

Carlos Lozano clozano at andago.com
Sat Nov 2 22:44:56 CST 2002

El sáb, 02 de nov de 2002, a las 21:49, Mark Hannessen escribio:
> > I beg to differ. We do NOT need to crack these games, nor should we
> > aspire to it. What we need is a method for the original game's code to
> > verify that a legally CD is indeed in the drive.
>
> totaly agree.
> but in order to do that, we need copyprotection ( like wineX or
> windows ) but doing that open source is NOT legal. even in my country.

I don't agree here. It is a really very simple, Wine implements the
windows API, and in some parts it implements a PC (or it will do),
you needn't implement a library what decodes a game or some similar
only make the resources what the game needs in order to run. You need
only provides to the real dll (or .exe file) included in the game of
what it need.

> > In other words, we need to write code that, when used by the ORIGNAL
> > copy protected software, will recognize copied CDs as copied and
> > original CDs as original with similar false negatives to what the same
> > code running on Windows does (if we have false positives, i.e. an
> > original CD is mistook to be pirated, that is none of the copyright
> > holder's beef with us).
>
> the problem with copyprotection is, is that there license forbids anyone
> to distribute anything that gives away any hints on how to decrypt it.

You aren't giving hints to decrypt some code, simply implementing the
win32 API, and sometimes implementing a PC architecture, it is far away
of decrypt code ;).

Regards,
Carlos.

--
 ___         _          \  |  /  Infraestructuras
| . |._ _  _| | ___  ___  ___    http://www.andago.com
 Carlos A. Lozano   <___'/ | \ -_) __/\__ \ >  <  -_)
 [ carlos.lozano at andago.com ]\___|_|  ____/ _/\_\___|
 [ calb at epsxe.com           ]  http://www.epsxe.com