My WineHQ menu structure proposal

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Sun Nov 3 08:52:20 CST 2002

> I think the home page should be targeted to people who may not know what
> Wine is. Thus it should *answer* the question 'What is Wine'. The Gimp's
> web site (http://www.gimp.org/) is a good example in that respect. The
> first paragraph of the page answers the question 'What is the GIMP?'.

I agree with this; our navigation system right now, while pretty,
honestly takes up more real estate than it needs to.

> Thus I think there should be a link to the News page but no more. The
> news page is for returning visitors and if that's what they care about
> then they should bookmark that page rather than the home page.

Here, I disagree.  I think having a short news box, as we have now,
gives people a sense of what's going on right now with the project,
and gives a sense of vitality.

[snip]
>  * That brings me to another point. I like the menus in Bugzilla and the
> Application Database:
>    http://wine.codeweavers.com/bugs/
>    http://appdb.winehq.com/
>    I vote for using the same system for WineHQ. This would also bring a
> better unity of style. Each top-level menu is a 'box' that contains all
> the level two menu items.

And if we switched to this style, we could unify the appdb and
bugzilla looks and it would be a consistent style...

>  * Who cares about an 'Applications Database'? What's that anyway?
> Would a potential Wine user want to have dealings with a database?
> Nah. Must be for geeks. What users want to know is what applications run
> in Wine and thus that's how the menu entry and the thing itself should
> be called: 'Supported Applications'. Even if the truth is that it lists
> applications that do not work too.

Nice change.

> So, here goes:

> (no menu item for this one, just click on the Wine logo)
>
> 1. About Wine
>    1.1. Introduction
>         a. Intro
>         b. Why Wine
>         c. Myths
>         d. Technology
>         e. History
>         g. Companies
>    1.2. Screenshots
>    1.3. Supported Applications
>    1.4. Contributing
>         a. Application maintainer
>         b. Bug triage
>         c. Website maintenance
>         d. Development
>    1.5. News
>    1.6. Press
>
> 2. Download
>    2.1. Binaries   (installing from binaries)
>    2.2. Source     (installing from source)
>    2.3. CVS        (installing from CVS)
>
> 3. Support
>    3.2. Howto
>    3.3. Bug Tracking
>    3.4. Troubleshooting
>    3.5. Forums
>         a. Mailing Lists
>         b. Newsgroup
>         c. IRC Channel
>
> 4. Documentation
>    4.1. User Guide
>    4.2. Developer Guide
>    4.3. Packager Guide
>    4.4. API Docs
>
> 5. Development
>    5.1. Developer Hints
>    5.2. Submitting Patches
>    5.3. TODO Lists
>        - 0.9/1.0 TODOs
>        - Tasklist/bug 395
>        - FIXMEs/bug 455,
>        - Tasklets/bug 406
>        - most wanted bugs
>    5.4. Status
>    5.5. Resources
>         a. LXR
>         b. CVS Web
>         c. Who's Who
>         d. Tools
>         e. Win32 Documentation, X doc, etc.
>
> 6. Miscellaneous
>    6.1. Community
>    6.2. Related projects
>    6.3. Contacts
>    6.4. Legal
>

> 'Just' 33 menu items (down from 44 for both Dimitrie's and Jeremy's
> proposals). WineHQ is a big site... Hopefully there's not too much
> hiding.

I like this quite a bit; however, I still feel that #6 should
be "Community"; Contacts and Legal can easily be moved to
small footnotes on the top level page and/or the About page.

Just having a 'Misc' category makes my skin crawl, because it
always seems like the web designer couldn't be bothere to
think something through.

One other issue: if we do switch to an app db style of
navigation, then we're going to need a lot of content
to fill in items (iow, we're going to need stuff
to fill in for 2.a, 3.a, 4.a, and so on).

Jer