My WineHQ menu structure proposal

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Nov 3 11:26:14 CST 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 11:36:36AM -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On November 3, 2002 05:28 am, Francois Gouget wrote:
>   * I also hate the term "Application Database". It sounds too techy,
>     and it's one of the reasons I never used it. So I suggest
> 	"Application Status"
That's good, too.

>   * Minor nit, but I still don't like CVS under Downloads. First off,
>     nobody thinks about using CVS as a Download option. There is a big
>     semantical impedance mismatch here. CVS is viewed as a development
>     tool. Also people using CVS don't go to Download, and viceversa.
>     I think it's a mistake to group items based on their form/syntax,
>     rather than meaning/semantics. In this case, the grouping is based
>     on the fact that there are bits going across the wire, and I don't
>     feel it's a meaningful distinction for anyone.
IMHO the CVS stuff should *only* be mentioned in the Wine User Guide (and
the Developers Guide would explain the more advanced usage patterns).
Then it'd be pretty easy to simply add a small "For CVS download of Wine
source, see <Wine Users Guide link>".
As the Wine Users Guide would have a link to the Wine Developers Guide
for advanced stuff on its own, you even wouldn't need to mention the
Wine Devel Guide CVS link, too...

>   * Something to keep in mind: the App DB menus don't render properly
>     in Konqy. If we're gonna standardize on that format, we should make
>     sure they render correctly in the OSS-world browsers.
Bad, bad Konqy again ;)
Good point, though.

> I suggest we work off of your latest proposal, and suggest 'patches'
> to it, if anyone feels there should be changes. But this does seem
> to bring us closer to a universally accepted solution. Yay!
Hmm, could someone yell "me!" when it comes to finding someone to
mail a "this is it so far" status report to wine-devel ?
I think it'd be good to have a mail describing the current agreement.
And no, I won't do it, since I've got way too many things to do in the
less than 2 hours left until my departure.