My WineHQ menu structure proposal

Igor Izyumin igor at mlug.missouri.edu
Sun Nov 3 11:51:54 CST 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 11:38 am, Jeremy White wrote:
> > I am not sure what you're saying here, but as far as I'm concerned,
> > I think we should have a link in the menu *only* to the Supported
> > Applications page (the hand written one), and from there a link to
> > the Application Database. If this is what you're saying, I agree.
> > If you are saying that we should point people directly to the
> > Application Database, I disagree.
>
> I'm advocating that the main menu link be called
> 'Supported Applications', and I'm reserving judgement on
> what the resulting page looks like.  However, I think your
> suggestion is fine, so long as the app db is not buried as
> far as you would seem to like it.
>
> [snip]
>
> > But this is meaningless duplication. All menus are visible on the
> > screen, so there is no point in having two CVS links on the main
> > page. In order to use the latest CVS, you better know you're dealing
> > with Development stuff, so I still think it belongs under Development.
> > In fact, current practice is to put CVS stuff under development,
> > and _NOT_ download. Look at SourceForge, and a gazillion other sites.
> > And as I said, I think there are good reasons for doing it. And BTW,
> > even if there not, many times it's better to stay with the accepted
> > practice in things of these nature.
>
> Yikes.  I hadn't understood that the whole menu tree would be
> visible on the main page.  I don't like that at all.
> 34 choices on the first page is way more than the 7 max
> I advocate...

Actually, if it is well-designed, it can be very nice.  Keep in mind that you
can use things like bold text and indenting to emphasize the major categories
and individual pages.  You would understand the structure instantly, without
guessing.  I don't see why every page should have no more than 7 links.  Most
people aren't dyslexic, and I don't think that choosing the page you want
from a well-grouped list is difficult.  In fact, it would be easier because
you wouldn't have to guess in which category the page might be located.  In
some situations that would be the case.
--
-- Igor