My WineHQ menu structure proposal

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Nov 3 12:10:46 CST 2002

On November 3, 2002 01:03 pm, Igor Izyumin wrote:
> Ummm... the whole patch idea seems pretty stupid.  Let's agree on a plan
> and let one person do everything.  Website development by committee is not
> going to work well, especially since we are in need of a new design (and
> not simply some updating).

Well, I wasn't clean: I mean patch in the abstract meaning. That is, the
mail are getting large, and I don't want people to post another 35 item
menu to suggest we rename A to B. That's it, nothing to fancy. And at the
end of the day, it's obvious someone should gather all these suggestions,
make some decisions, and give us the fscking menu, right? What's stupid
in that?

> I wouldn't mind working on a redesigned version, as long as I don't have to
> do it in small incremental patches that get endlessly discussed on
> wine-devel. Does anyone really know how the website is structured
> currently?  Does it run out of a database?  If not, what does it use PHP
> for?  Can we make it mostly-static or is it some weird system that requires
> tons of scripting?  I know php, but it should be easy to maintain for
> someone who doesn't.

I'm 100% with you here. All this fancy technology for what? WineHQ is static
content, why get fancy with that? In my experience, it's not worth it, but
we should allow the webmaster to pick his tools. It's his prerogative.

--
Dimi.